Friday 1 June 2018

My Reading and Writing Goals for June

A summary of my goals:
  • Finish reading "Before They Are Hanged" by Joe Ambercrombie
  • Write three "3-5" page short stories
  • Edit my "long" short story and submit it to class
  • Blog every other day (two or three times a week)

A lot has changed for me in May on the reading and writing side of my life. I started blogging on Wordpress, and intend to more frequently. I started my Creative Writing Through Reading class and I'm very pleased with how that's going. I also completed the longest short story I've ever written, which is definitely a big accomplishment for me. I also finished reading "The Blade Itself" and started reading the next book in the trilogy, "Before They Are Hanged" all thanks to ebooks!

I want to read the novel by the end of the month. I think I can pull this off simply by getting in as much reading as I can with the found time method: if I have time to open the app on my phone, I have time to read any amount of the story. Anything. Let's just finish this, okay?

I have my class to worry about now when it comes to writing. That's two assignments, and on top of that I'm encouraged to submit work each week of class and I want to do that at least twice. That means I need to submit a short story every week of the month.

I'm fortunate that the final assignment aligns with my goal of finalizing a second draft of the aforementioned short story. I'll be making a readable version of that story to hand in and get some feedback for. One interesting thing for me is that I wrote half of that story by hand in a notebook, a new technique to me I've been enjoying. In fact, that's the case for almost all my blog posts. It's as if my wrist thought of what to write by itself. It comes out horribly, but at least I get it out of my system and by the time I transcribe it to a word processor it's at least half-readable.

I want to blog at least every other day. I'll take days off on weekends, maybe, so that will be about two or three posts a week.

This month I'll also be reflecting on how I'm spending my time and how I can fit in more time with physical books. Can I do it? Find out next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment