Tuesday 5 June 2018

LIFE: Diabetes Hope Foundation's 20th Anniversary Symposium

Since receiving a scholarship from the the Diabetes Hope Foundation (DHF) in 2009, I've had the personal benefit of volunteering for them ever since. This includes being part of the Scholarship Advisory Committee, where we read and select winners for their eponymous scholarship.

I really enjoy reading the scholarships. Everyone has their own story with their diabetes and I absolutely love learning about each and every one. The choices this year were difficult to make as most of the applications were top-notch.

This effort all culminated on June 3, 2018, where the DHF celebrated their 20th anniversary for their Scholarship Program. The day couldn't have gone better.

It began early in the morning at 9 AM, where I watched a panel discussion among our alumni who focus on teaching and mental health. I learned a lot from that! Did you know you can request to waive the standard 3-month waiting period before receiving benefits from your work if you play the diabetes card? What about using your diabetes as a way to prove your skills in an interview? Time management and self-care being some of those. I never thought about doing that before. Thank you, panel.

As for myself, I was on the panel for "Math, Technology, and Engineering." Why I was selected is a bit beyond me, although I suppose my career does require a Science degree. The panel discussion went well; our moderator took us off-script for a bit and asked us some good questions. I had nothing prepared but felt I pulled it off. I know my story very well.


The reception in general was very nicely put together. As well, the weather was cooperating. The sweltering heat of the previous week did not show itself to us, and in the old Hart House at U of T, that was a godsend. 

The evening concluded with the Scholarship Awards Ceremony. There were five keynote speakers, each sharing their diabetes stories and their own struggles and advice with the new 2018 winners. They were both entertaining and inspiring, striking all the right chords with the audience. I saw a few people's eyes welling up with tears (do I count my own?) Even a bird flew into the hall during the festivities to be a part of the audience.

I'm also glad my girlfriend was able to attend. I really wanted her to meet the amazing people I know through the DHF, and see what the group is all about. Introducing her to my diabetic family, so to speak.

Another year, another ceremony, but that's not it for 2018. Coming up soon will be the Scholarship Committee's debrief for this year as well as what we want to change for the next application coming up. 

Thank you to the DHF for accepting me in the family and giving me the opportunity to be a part of it all. I truly love the experience of being a part of this community. 

No comments:

Post a Comment