Tuesday 12 June 2018

LIFE: Dance Gavin Dance @ Danforth Music Hall

On June 11, 2018 I saw Dance Gavin Dance at the Danforth Music Hall.

I'll begin again by saying "I don't listen to the band." I actually went to see the second opener, Erra. I arrived more or less just in time to see them and I'm glad I didn't miss it since they were magnificent. Their setlist mostly contained songs from their latest album "Drift," but they also played a new song that I hadn't heard before. I'm a little surprised by how lively the crowd was, definitely happy about that, it seems a lot of people are familiar with the group. I think Erra stole the show, however, I'm bias since they are one of my favourite bands.



Next up was I See Stars, and I have mixed feelings about these guys. On the one hand, the venue was alive when they were playing. Everyone was moving; shaking their hips or at least headbanging. But on the other, I couldn't get into the lead's voice. It was raw, but it felt untrained, and not in a good way. I did like their song "White Lies," though (I had to ask someone what it was called). That song featured the lead and the keyboardist/programmer singing together and the call and response worked well. It was just something about the group. While it was flashy with a great light show, the band was constantly lit as a silhouette. It was weird, for example, during "White Lies," when I couldn't differentiate the two vocalists really. The music was otherwise basic and I couldn't get into it.



Finally, though, was Dance Gavin Dance. Now to explain when I said I don't listen to them: I've only listened to them for the past two weeks and exclusively to their setlist. I was prepared, and just like the audience, I was bouncing all over the place to the music. It's so fantastic to be in a crowd so invigorated like that. At one point, there was two pits, but I lost my energy rather quickly and resigned to the edge of one. The band was having a good time as well, with both leads dancing to the music as often as they could (I've always liked it when singers who don't play instruments dance during their sets. It's like the only thing they can do besides sing and it's awesome.)



That being said, I'm not sure I would go see another DGD concert. Maybe I would if the openers were as good as these. I'm disappointed I missed Sianvar, though. It turns out A Lot Like Birds' guitarist is Sianvar's bassist, so I bought their two releases at the merch stand at the end of the show. Altogher, it was a great night and happy I saw Erra play and hear one of their new songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment