Monday 30 July 2018

LIFE: Vans Warped Tour @ Flats @ Budweiser Stage (July 17)

When I was in highschool, I attended the 2007 Vans' Warped Tour in highschool in 2007 at Barrie's Molson Park. My choice of line-up was Protest the Hero, k-os, and Coheed and Cambria, and probably many others I can't remember. So many people attended, and I was amazed by it all, especially for the main stage where Coheed played. The crowd, to me, echoed crowds like the pictures of major Metallica shows I'd seen on the internet.

This is all probably just my memory and not what actually happened, and I was plainly reminded of that when I attended the final leg of the tour in Canada this year on July 17.

To start off, this was a Tuesday, and just as I suspected, plenty of kids filled the meager Flats @ Budweiser Stage.  The first band on the main stage was announced to be Issues, playing at 11:30, and my friend and I had no intention of getting there that early. Our fault, but it still sucked.

When we got there, after taking a walk around the premises, we stopped to see Harm's Way - a fairly heavy band that I've never heard of before. The crowd they gathered was thick pretty thick for the middle of the day. Their energy was intoxicating, however, the music sounded a bit generic. Still a great way to get hyped at the start.


 Next to them performed Tatiana DeMaria, who began her set maybe halway through Harm's Way The contrast couldn't be more evident. She had an Avril Lavigne The Best Damn Thing Vibe, which was awesome. She gave it her everything, though, and it was intoxicating to witness.


We caught Selfish Things afterwards and genuinely enjoyed tail of their set. It wasn't their first song that caught us, and we walked away from them heading to Senses Fail, but as they played a "Song 2" cover from Blur, they reeled us back in. Respect to these guys, but, a lot of bands would be doing covers today.



We tried to watch Senses Fail. Look at the view. When we got their, they played a medley starting with "Toxicity" by System of a Down and including a Limp Bizket song. Altogether, they were good, but I'm completely unfamiliar with their work. I'm sure they were good from what I could see!


We went about this for the rest of the evening, shifting from the main stage to another. That's why we saw We the Kings. We just wanted to check out who was on the main stage at the time. They were alright. Look at the crowd though.



We were getting exhausted at this point, but seeing Everytime I Die, though, changed things. The band was superb, a love letter to the tour and their fans. We unfortunately felt the need to leave early, however, to watch Sum 41.



No regrets there! They came to kick ass and play music and they did just that. It was the anniversary of "Does This Look Infected?" and they played the whole thing, from "The Hell Song" to "Hooch." It was emotional, nostalgic, energetic, and epic. Halfway through it, they inflated that oversized skeleton flipping all of us off. The crowd ate it all up. I wish I made it to the pit for them. I'm excited for their upcoming album now to be honest. Pop punk's not dead.



We took a bit of a break, but went back to the main stage to watch Underoath and got there while Reel Big Fish still performed. After them was Simple Plan, and wouldn't you know it, they rocked it. Playing their "hits" and new material, it made me wonder why I didn't care for them before. Serious respect to them, they controlled the stage.

Finally I can talk about Underoath. What a performance! Give these guys all the credit. While it wasn't as energetic as Sum 41, I won't forget how they played, the connection they had with the crowd, the setlist. I'm surprised I even got a photo in, I was dancing so much.


It's too bad the tour is ending, but I suspect something will come along to take its place. It reminded me how much fun these things can be. I hope whatever comes next is only better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment