Monday 16 July 2018

FIREWORKS - What worked for me?

"Fireworks, Should We See It From the Side or the Bottom?" [known as just "Fireworks" in English] is a movie in which I have mixed feelings about, for once.

On the one hand, the dialogue was excellent. The kids in the movie (I believe around 12 years old) appropriately sound their age, right down to calling one another "dumbasses." It's not over-the-top like South Park, but it doesn't shy away from the language either. They also speak differently among one another than they do in front of adults. The main incident framing the story involves these kids wondering if fireworks are flat or round when they explode, and I simply love that. The reactions this question gets from everybody involved is just great.

On the other hand, the movie almost doesn't have a plot, and by that I mean, none of the characters are active agents in the story. The macguffin, a beautiful glass time-travelling ball, is actually the object that resolves conflicts and moves the plot forward, and the main characters are pulled along for the ride. Norimichi has an interesting problem to work through, and I enjoy the musings of Nazuna. I just don't remember any of their problems truly being addressed or resolved by the end; it's unsatisfying.

The quality of the animation is excellent and blends 3D CGI and traditional-looking animation for some interesting effects. The movie is well edited and directed in that sense, and I can get past the plot problem because of its beauty.

I would recommend this movie for something light and beautiful to watch on an ugly, stormy day.



No comments:

Post a Comment