Thursday 24 May 2018

WORLDBUILDING: Map Making

I tried drawing a Medieval city for the first time.

Truthfully, the visual aspect of my world is the most challenging for me. I find my best images come out in text, either in a story or on the wiki, though I wish I could be more picturesque about it. I think the settings I create in my head are too simple.

I've run one D&D campaign in my life and for the most part got by with Googling "large d&d city map" or "free d&d dungeon map." For my writing of Fantasyland I haven't bothered to make any maps of my own.

I suppose it's because I wanted my imagination to take my characters where they need to be and where they would just go naturally. It works, and I'm not sure a visual map might make things easier. However, I wonder what kind of stories I can write with a map in front of me.

So I opened up this video which sat in my "Watch Later" queue on Youtube for far too long and followed along with The Questing Beast to varying success. His idea is to build the city organically. That means to start with a main road, and as the city becomes more important, some roads will lead to that road. As people begin to settle, they'll want to take shortcuts to the roads, and that's because buildings are in their way. For our purposes, we do the roads first and then the buildings. What results is beautiful, in that satisfaction-is-beauty kind of way.

My first map looked like my first map ought to look. The roads are far too wide, contributing to the strange X-shape from overhead. Still, it might be a cool concept for some type of town at a crossroads.



My next map I tried something a little differently. When it came time to divide the blocks of buildings to face the roads, I penciled in some of the main roads, just as a reminder of where the people were walking. I found that this created a more natural feel to my design of the city, and I think it shows. This one makes a bit more sense to me. And it looks a bit like a Fish Head.


Cities, or neighborhoods within cities today might be better off designed in such a way. A city looks nicer when citizens determine where buildings go based on their foot traffic. It's nice to walk everywhere, a city is for the people living in it, after all.

I'm looking forward to drawing more maps in the future. I've always enjoyed city-building games like Cities: Skylines and Lethis: Path of Progress, and to be honest I got the same sort of excitement making these pictures. Fish Head city might become the setting of my next Frances story. In it, he'll find himself investigating a crime. I was going to set it in Amherst, but I think it might be fun to develop Fish Head city more and figure out what all those buildings do.

No comments:

Post a Comment